Rules for the 2023 Pukekohe Franklin Camera Club Creative Focus Competition.
The name of the competition shall be "Creative Focus".
The aim of the competition shall be to encourage the development of creative photography.
ELIGIBILITY FOR ENTRY
The competition shall be open to all PSNZ members, and all photography enthusiasts in New Zealand and Internationally.
The competition will be run on behalf of the Pukekohe Franklin Camera Club. A sub-committee of PFCC has been appointed.
The competition will consist of four subjects:
Creative Focus - This is our OPEN Subject, so anything goes. In camera techniques (like slow shutter movement/double exposure) filters, layering, composite images, abstracts, you name it…go wild!!
This subject brings to mind, beautiful vibrant colourful flowers or people dressed in colourful floral attire. Fantasy conjures up lots of different magical, surreal exciting images. They may be more abstract or clear sharp images that capture the imagination.
Reflections - Known as a mirror image. Its basic premise is capturing an image that also uses a reflective surface that is echoing the surrounding scenery/object etc. Maybe any genre including landscape, still life, abstract, etc.
|4.||In the Style of:|
In the Style of: - Study a well-known artist of any media and use techniques, colors, textures, subjects etc similar to the artist. Name of the artist may be included somewhere in your title.
All techniques and subject matter are accepted, including textured overlays and composite images.
- Photoshop or similar editing programmes may be used.
- All photographic techniques and equipment is permitted, inluding intentional camera movement, distorting lenses and filters, and digital filters.
- All images and textures used must originate from your own photographic work, exposed by you the entrant.
- Entries must be the work of the entrant alone. Assistance with operating is permitted, but only at the specific direction of the author. Constructive criticism by friends or mentors is permitted to a limited degree.
- Composite images and textures may only contain images originally photographed by the author.
- Digital techniques may be added to give the desired effect.
- Images produced using enhanced digital programmes such as fractals or artificial intelligence are expressly forbidden.
- Winning photographers may be asked how they have constructed the image.
- It costs $20.00 for the first category entered, and $15.00 for each subsequent category. You may enter up to four images in each category.
- The Catalogue / Book containing all the winning images is $55.20 including postage to NZ addresses.
- For any overseas postage please contact entry coordinator Susie Hare at karakakards.co.nz
- Payment must be made by bank transfer to the Creative Focus bank account: No:- ASB - 12-3023-0367837-03. Please be sure to show your Entrant Number and your surname in the details box.
- Entries are open from Monday 17 July until Sunday 6 August, 11.59PM.
- There will be no extension of dates for entries.
- There is a maximum of 4 entries per subject.
SIZE OF IMAGES
- Images with a width less than 1200 pixels or a height of less than 750 pixels will be rejected by the server.
- Your image must have a maximum width of 3240 pixels, and a maximum height of 2160 pixels. Images larger than that will be downsized to conform.
- The height rule is relaxed in the case of a "letterbox" or "column" image. If a landscape image has a width of greater than 2200 pixels, the height is ignored. If a portrait image has a height equal to 2160 pixels, the width is ignored.
- All files must be in JPEG format.
- Images must have a title – any image named 'No Title' will not be accepted.
- There are 3 judges on the panel. For 2023 the judges are:
- Julia Rae
- Simon Woolf
- Waverley Klein Ovink
- Join our Facebook page to keep you updated.
- The images will be uploaded to the Creative Focus website.
- You do not need to name your image files in any specific manner.
- The image title will be recorded as entered by you during the entry process.
- The photographer's details i.e. name, club affiliation (if appropriate), and contact details will be taken from your “account profile”
- N.B. Check all details in the confirmation email sent by the system as these are how your image will be labelled in the book if you are successful – If you need to make changes, please notify us ASAP.
- Judging will commence shortly after Sunday 6 August.
The images will be anonymous for judging.
- Judges will be looking for good camera technique & creative photographic skill.
- Images deemed to be offensive by the organizing committee will not be judged.
The following overall prize will be awarded:
- For each subject categorythere will be Gold, Silver, and Bronze awards, plus Honours, Highly commended, and Acceptances.
- The three top placings in each subject will receive a trophy.
- At the completion of the judges will choose the image which is to be the Pukekohe Franklin Camera Club Creative Focus - Competition Supreme Award Winner.
- The Supreme Award Winner will receive a prize of $500.00. cash.
- There may be additional sponsors' prizes.
- On Friday 1 September the Coordinator will notify individuals by email of their results. A list of all successful applicants and the top images will be displayed on the Creative Focus website on Friday 1 September.
- The Coordinator will prepare a slideshow of the images from each subject for showing on the website and at the prize giving to be held at the Franklin Arts Centre Pukekohe on Saturday 23 September, 6.30PM in conjunction with the Pukekohe Franklin Camera Club's exhibition. Food and drinks will be provided.
- We will also be asking the permission of the 3 winners of each section (gold, silver and bronze) if we can print out their image at 240 ppi to put into our exhibition. The matted image will be sent to the winners after the exhibition - free of charge. We will be inviting all participants to attend.
The Pukekohe Franklin Camera Club shall be entitled without payment of any fee to the entrants, to display any image entered in this competition on:
- the PFCC Creative Focus website;
- to promote the Creative Focus competition;
- as part of a slideshow at the National Convention.
- All personal details we hold in our database are visible to you only on the website and may be modified by you at will.
- Copyright to entries remains at all times with you (the entrant).
- We will not divulge any of your personal details to anyone without your permission.
- We will use your details ONLY for important communication with you regarding the Pukekohe Franklin Camera Club Creative Focus Competition.
FAILURE TO OBSERVE RULES
- The committee reserves the right to disqualify any entry that it deems unsuitable for the intent of this competition.
- Any dispute concerning the interpretation of these rules or the organization of the competition may be referred to the Creative Focus Sub Committee whose decision shall be final and binding.
- The Pukekohe Franklin Camera Club will not be liable for any claims relating from your copyright or privacy infringements or disputes.